Monday, July 21, 2014

New Food Alert: Highlands Corned Lamb

I don't just like protein because it helps me build muscles but also because I like how it taste. I like how eating a juicy medium-rare steak makes me feel like a lion devouring its prey and so it's no surprise that lamb, goat and venison would also be appealing to my palate. So you could imagine my joy and excitement when I happened upon a canned good that has the word "lamb" on it. 

Although I've given up on canned and other processed goods, Highland's Corned Lamb got me intrigued enough to put aside my healthy mindset and purchase a can to experiment with. 
So much possibilities in this little container

This canned protein is too gourmet to be prepared the usual way (sautéed with onions, corn kernels and sometimes potato). A perfect way to prepare it was to pair it up with mint jelly but sadly, our pantry ran out of it and I can no longer wait to try out the product that I had to think of another way to prepare it. 

So yesterday I finally decided to make a curry with the corned lamb (Recipe to follow). When I opened the can, I was immediately greeted by the gamey smell of the meat and it is this smell that confirms to lamb lovers that the meat is indeed made out of lamb. Solidified fats are also visible inside the can but that's to be expected since lamb is not actually known as a lean source of protein.

Like what I expected, the lamb went well with the curry and to provide my feedback, I'd say that this product can suppress any lamb-lover's cravings for this glorious meat since it makes your dish smell and taste like lamb. The quinoa was a perfect as a rice substitute and once reheated, it becomes a curry risotto since the sauce was absorbed by the quinoa. 

Lamb Quinoa Curry Omurice 
Ingredients:
1 can of Highland's Corned Lamb
2 square cubes of Japanese curry roux
1 whole carrot, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 sticks celery, diced
1/2 cup cooked quinoa, (boil in 1 cup of water)
2 eggs

Direction:
  • Sauté onion. carrot and celery in olive oil until browned
  • Add in corned lamb until cooked through
  • Add 2 cups of water and let it boil. 
  • Add in curry cubes and quinoa
  • Let it boil for 1 minute
  • Turn down heat then let simmer for 7-10 minutes until curry is thick in consistency
  • Crack eggs in a bowl and beat until well combined
  • Heat a frying pan with a bit of oil then add in egg
  • Whirl the pan so that the egg would cover the entire pan
  • Let it cook through then top it with lamb curry 
  • Fold the egg to form an Omurice
  • Serve and Enjoy
There are so many lamb dishes that can be instantly made with this canned product such as lamb goulash, kalderata corned lamb, lamb pasta and many more. Can you think of other dishes that can be made out of this canned lamb?

xoxo Until the next entry! Chow (ciao) for now xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment